Baby with cracked skullChief Executive Officer of the Georgetown Public Hospital Michael Khan on Thursday revealed that the report on the baby who cracked his skull on the hospital floor in August has been completed and has been sent to the Nursing Director for advice.Khan said the report was sent to the Director to ascertain if the nurse, who was attending to the mother of the child at the time of the accident, should be held accountable. He explained that the hospital is also awaiting a statement from the mother before any decision is made.“The director will have to find out if any disciplinary actions should be taken,” he said.The mother of the baby Nyesha Hamilton is contemplating taking legal action against the medical facility which she blames for the tragedy. Hamilton went into labour on August 21, 2016.According to the woman, she arrived at the hospital at approximately 22:00h and was examined by two doctors who informed her that she “was 4cm and then 5cm.”Shortly after, Hamilton said that she started to bleed and upon informing the nurses, was told that the two doctors who examined her previously said she had not “reached 10cm yet,” and she would have to wait another four hours before it was time to have the baby.However, she went into labour and there was no wheelchair to carry her into the labour room.“Two steps away from the door to the labour room, I feel like I couldn’t walk anymore so I stoop down, and I feel the baby fall on the ground and knock he head on the right hand side,” the mother said.After seeing the baby on the floor, Hamilton recalled that the nurses refused to pick the child up and instead told her to.Chief Medical Officer, Dr Shamdeo Persaud had stated that the medical officials should have been better equipped by the third stage of the delivery (which would have been the expulsion of the child from the birth canal).
…as annual report handed over to ParliamentThe Women and Gender Equality Commission (W&GEC) on Wednesday handed over its annual report to the National Assembly while calling for more sensitisation on the code of law on women’s rights as well as the speedy establishment of the Human Rights Commission.The call was made by W&GEC Chairperson Indranie Chandarpal as she highlighted a few of the recommendations from the annual report.“We have recommended that they produce a harmonised code of law on women’s rights and this should be one book that contains all the law protecting women but set out as a code and separate laws. The codes should be harmonised with international law obligations and with other national laws to ensure that there areW&GEC Chairperson Indranie Chandarpal hands over the seventh annual report to Speaker of the National Assembly, Dr Barton Scotlandno gaps in the protection afforded to women,” she added.The Chairperson explained that the codes should be simplified so persons from various walks of life can understand their rights.According to her, “Guyana should submit the report to the committee established to monitor compliance under the Convention of Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination.”She added that the country should ratify the optional protocol of the Convention of the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, which will allow for individual petitions.In addition, Chandarpal stated, “We are hoping that the Human Rights Commission would be in place very shortly because all of us are aware that the Human Rights Commission has a role to play in all these Rights Commissions, that is the admin arm of these Commissions and because of the slothful nature in having the Commission in place, it is causing some difficulties in terms of getting things done in a very timely way.”Meanwhile, Speaker of the National Assembly, Dr Barton Scotland spoke of some of the difficulties faced in moving forward.“When we had passed the law that enabled the constitutional agencies to enjoy independence, in the financial area, I had said to all the heads of the agencies at that time that there would be some difficulties in moving from (point) A to B, but I did ask the heads of the agencies to let me know whether they are moving at all, given the new dispensation or if they are moving too slowly,” he asserted.According to him, so far, only one agency would have raised concerns with him in this regard.In handing the report over to the Speaker, Chandarpal said she hoped the recommendations made in the report will be acted upon after consideration.
In keeping with promises to review all deals and agreements entered into by the Coalition Government during the period when it should be acting in a caretaker role, Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo on Thursday said among the things that will be repealed is the recent extension given to CGX Energy Inc. for exploration activities.Opposition Leader Bharrat JagdeoBack in May, government had approved a Strategic Joint Venture between CGX Energy Inc. and Frontera Energy Corporation to farm into two shallow water offshore Petroleum Prospecting Licences for the Corentyne and Demerara Blocks – both of which are adjacent to ExxonMobil’s Stabroek Block, where 13 discoveries have been made thus far.The farm-in joint venture allows Frontera to acquire a 33.333 per cent working interest in the two blocks.The agreement will see CGX’s Utakwaaka well drilled by November 27, 2019 in the Corentyne Block, with an additional exploration well to be drilled by November 27, 2022. In the Demerara Block, an exploration well will have to be drilled by February 12, 2021, with a further exploration well being drilled by February 12, 2023.The Opposition Leader told reporters on Thursday that this extension granted by the APNU+AFC government would be reviewed.“The extension of the CGX contract, we will not treat it as valid. Nothing in that period (is valid)… The Government doesn’t have the authority to extend anything,” Jagdeo contended.In fact, Jagdeo noted that even the Natural Resources Fund (NRF) Bill which was passed in the National Assembly back in January of this year in the absence of the Parliamentary Opposition will also be repealed.The NRF Bill is a crucial piece of legislation that is intended to create a framework for saving and investing revenue from Guyana’s oil and gas sector. But the Opposition Leader pointed out that the Government delayed its passage for months, and then went ahead to pass it shortly after a no-confidence vote against Government.“As far as we’re concerned, it is illegal too…and we will repeal it and replace it (in) a very short period with another model that reflects some of the principles we’ve outlined and some we will outline in our Manifesto,” he noted.According to Jagdeo, the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF) will encompass the Santiago Principle on Transparency and Norwegian type-management, which will see the management of the Fund placed at a distance from the politicians.“As production takes place, the money could be placed in an escrow account and central bank, and nobody touches it. We publish how much money we received, and the money is there,” he stated.The Opposition Leader went on to outline that, upon examination of the NRF, it will show that the Finance Minister is overall in charge of the Fund; the Central Bank, which reports to the Minister, is in charge of the operation of the Fund; the Minister will name a Macro-Economic Committee that is advisory to him, and that his Ministry chairs, and that will determine the economically feasible amount to be withdrawn from the fund; the Minister will also name an Investment Committee which will again be advisory to him and set up the investment mandate; and then the Minister, in his personal capacity, will determine the fiscally sustainable sum to withdraw.“What is common in every one of those five issues is the Minister. That’s the management structure of the Fund, and you cannot have that. It’s a recipe for disaster. We’ll destroy the economy and we’ll have a ton of corruption if you do that. You have to distance the politicians from that… So the model that they pass is a model that we have no faith in. It destroys some fundamental principles of how you manage any windfall resource,” Jagdeo, an economist and former President, stated.According to the Opposition Leader, should the PPP get into office, repeal of the SWF will be done immediately, without any disturbances to oil production activities which the United States oil giant ExxonMobil is scheduled to commence in the first quarter of next year.The former Head of State criticised the Coalition Government for not realising its responsibility with a sense of urgency of the situation, and with an understanding of its mandate to protect the nation and its people.“There is no understanding of the seriousness of the issue, and there is an abdication of their responsibility to protect us and our nation. And when you have that, the companies can run amok. So the idea is not to stop production, but to make sure that we build those capabilities…. We want to offer that the PPP will be that sort of government that will do all of those things,” Jagdeo asserted.
– President envisions great advancementDrumrolls sounded and the crowd grew wild with excitement as the march pass began, signalling thePresident David Granger and Bartica Mayor Gifford Marshall unveiled the plaquecommencement of the grand celebrations of the official township status declaration for Bartica, Region Seven (Cuyuni Mazaruni) on Saturday.Usually a quiet ambiance, the mining community was colourfully decorated in the colours of the Golden Arrowhead and erupted into cheers and applause as families came out in huge numbers to join in the festivities.Despite the light drizzles, residents lined the streets with smartphones in hand to capture photos and videos of this historic moment.The march pass suavely made its way to the Bartica Stelling, where President David Granger, Regional Chairman Gordan Bradford and Mayor Gifford Marshall were awaiting.The ceremony started off with prayers by several religious groups, after which President Granger delivered the feature address.The Head of State, who is deeply connected to the Bartica, was overjoyed that this day has finally arrived.He noted that Bartica has been awaiting its township status for over 100 years, since the ordinance was passed to make Bartica a town in 1887.With having gained its official township status, Bartica can now set the stage for other municipalities to follow.According to President Granger, Bartica can lead the way in becoming a green town, a town that attracts investors from all across the Caribbean, and a town that is a magnet for economic growth.“Bartica has to lead the way, become our first green town… Solar energy, electrical vehicles, wind energy, solid waste management, recycling… Bartica is going to become a laboratory for Guyana’s green economy,” he stated.The President added: “It must be a model town for our green economy, showing all other towns and other regions how Guyana would supply enough energy without depending on fossil fuel.”He envisions that within the next four years, the new town can boast of having the greatest advancements in all integral aspects of development: technology, education, and overall economic development.Amid the pomp and ceremony, the plaque was unveiled and President Granger officially declared Bartica a town, much to the delight of residents.The celebrations continued into the evening with a blast of cultural extravaganza.Among those present for the celebrations were First Lady Sandra Granger, State Minister Joseph Harmon, Social Cohesion Minister Amna Ally, Health Minister Dr George Norton, and others.
“It resulted in some pushing,” Scott said of the argument. “Mr. Artest had shoved the victim to the floor several times, then he attempted to leave.” The woman threw a pot at the Hummer, shattering its windshield, Scott said. He would not disclose the woman’s relationship with Artest but said a 3-year-old girl was inside the house during the incident. Deputies arrived around 9:30 a.m. at Artest’s five-acre estate in the Sacramento suburb of Loomis and arrested him on suspicion of domestic violence. He also was arrested on suspicion of using force or violence to prevent the woman from reporting a crime, booked into the Placer County Jail and released later on $50,000 bail. His arraignment is scheduled for March 22. Geoff Petrie, the Kings’ president of basketball operations, said the team was removing Artest from the team, pending a full investigation. “The Kings have excused Ron Artest indefinitely from any further participation with the team due to his arrest today for domestic violence,” Petrie said in a statement. Beckham out month Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest was arrested Monday and excused indefinitely from the team after a woman said he shoved her to the floor inside his home and prevented her from calling 911. Placer County sheriff’s authorities said the woman reported she and Artest were arguing inside the home Monday morning. The argument moved outside when Artest tried to leave in his Hummer, sheriff’s Sgt. Andrew Scott said. Soccer star David Beckham’s return to form has taken a new twist – a bad twist of his right knee. The Galaxy-bound midfielder will be sidelined for about a month after hurting a knee ligament during a Spanish League game over the weekend. “Obviously, we hope it’s not a serious injury so he can get back to helping Real Madrid challenge for the title,” Galaxy GM Alexi Lalas said. “We do not expect this injury to affect his arrival in Los Angeles or his debut with the Galaxy.” Beckham agreed in January to a five-year contract with the Galaxy worth about $27.5 million in base salary. His contract with Real Madrid ends June 30, and the Galaxy expect him to join the team in August. Jets deal for RB The Chicago Bears reached a preliminary agreement to trade running back Thomas Jones to the New York Jets for a second-round draft pick. Jones, who rushed for 1,210 yards and six touchdowns in helping the Bears make the Super Bowl, must pass a physical before the deal is complete. The Bears decided to move Jones because they have chosen to go with Cedric Benson, their first-round pick in 2005. For the Jets, the deal gives them a No. 1 running back. The Broncos signed ex-All Pro running back Travis Henry to a five-year deal. Quarterback Joey Harrington and tight end Randy McMichael were released by the Dolphins. The Patriots received wide receiver Wes Welker from the Dolphins for a second- and seventh-round draft pick. Brad Johnson signed with the Cowboys, who wanted a veteran quarterback to team up with Tony Romo. The Falcons kept up their offseason purge by releasing starting guard Matt Lehr. Center Al Johnson agreed to a four-year contract with the Cardinals. Defensive end Kevin Carter, fourth among active players with 97.5 sacks, signed with the Buccaneers. The 49ers signed a two-year deal with wide receiver Ashley Lelie. Veteran QB Kerry Collins re-signed with the Titans. The club also released tight end Erron Kinney. The Colts re-signed linebacker Rob Morris, who helped spark the defense en route to the Super Bowl. Briefly NBA All-Star guard Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat will try to come back this season, saying that he has decided to delay surgery and rehabilitate his dislocated left shoulder with the goal of returning for the playoffs. Former WBC champion Omar Nino-Romero became the first boxer in Nevada history to test positive for methamphetamine after a fight and was suspended for nine months and fined $18,750 by regulators. Four-time Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race champion Doug Swingley withdrew after being injured just two days into the race from Anchorage to Nome. The Boston Globe suspended veteran sports writer Ron Borges for two months without pay amid accusations he plagiarized part of a football column from Mike Sando, a reporter for The News Tribune of Tacoma, Wash. “The Globe does not tolerate plagiarism,” Globe editor Martin Baron said in a statement. “Extensive passages … were used verbatim in the column by Borges, and that is prohibited.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!