Aston Villa assistant Ray Wilkins has said the club would be making a ‘huge mistake’ if they decided to sack manager Tim Sherwood.Reports on Thursday morning suggested the former Tottenham coach’s role at Villa Park is hanging by a thread, after owner Randy Lerner met with senior club officials in the States.The west midlands club are currently in the bottom three after just one win – a 1-0 opening day victory over Bournemouth – from their opening eight games of the new Premier League season.Axed Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers and Real Sociedad manager David Moyes have both been linked with the job as pressure on Sherwood increases, but Villans number two Wilkins has called for the club to stick with the 46-year-old.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, he said: “When you’re a Premier League manager you’re dreading the season’s first sacking, because once the first goes the rest seem to buck up a bit of courage and follow suit.“I think it would be a huge mistake as far as Tim and Aston Villa are concerned.“He’s an up-and-coming manager, he did extremely well at Tottenham and let’s not forget, it was only six or seven months ago that we were in the FA Cup final and staved off relegation.“So we really shouldn’t really be talking about this type of situation. We’ll get there, it’s going to be a lot of hard work but we’ll get there in the finish.”Villa take on defending champions Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday, but the Villans assistant believes this is the best time for under-pressure Sherwood to take on the struggling Blues, who are currently down in 16th after just two wins.“It’s very unusual to see Chelsea in this condition and we’re going to go there with a positive mind set and try to get the best result we can,” Wilkins added.“We’re under no illusions, it’s going to be extremely tough for us“But Chelsea are going through a bit of a difficult time at the moment, so it’s a good time for us to meet them.”
Selhurst Park 1 Crystal Palace expect to soon announce new investment in the club from Americans David Blitzer and Josh Harris.The duo, who co-own the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers and the NHL’s New Jersey Devils, are reportedly close to completing a deal to take 18 per cent of the London club, equal to co-chairman Steve Parish, who will retain control on a day-to-day basis.Parish’s fellow Palace fans Stephen Browett, Jeremy Hosking and Martin Long, who alongside the former rescued the club from bankruptcy in 2010, will reduce their present 25 per cent stakes to 15.33 per cent.Speaking to the BBC, Parish, who is expected to prioritise redeveloping Selhurst Park, said: “(I am) really hopeful we can get it done.“I want to move fast and to do that you need big funds. I’m prepared to do my bit, the three boys who are involved with me are prepared to do their bit.“But we need to bring some new people in to accelerate it and make sure we’ve got everything we need. If I was a Palace fan, and I am, I’d be fantastically excited about the future.“I really want to see the club fulfil the potential it should have fulfilled. We’ve had our share of bad luck: it’s time we put the record straight.“There is a real buzz about soccer, football, in the US and we need to capitalise on it. So we’ll be back and forth here as much as we can trying to grab our fair share of support.”The investment from Blitzer and Harris – the latter, who was once credited with a serious interest in buying out Palace’s South London rivals Charlton in 2013 – is also expected to be spent on upgrading the club’s already recently-improved training ground, and scouting network.
1 Everton striker Romelu Lukaku Juventus are lining up a summer move for Everton star Romelu Lukaku, according to reports in Italy.The Turin giants have been long-term admirers of the Belgian striker and have been impressed with his strike rate so far this term.Lukaku has scored seven goals in just 12 Premier League outings this season and Everton are reportedly bracing themselves for offers.And now, according to Sportitalia, Juve could make their move as early as next summer, with the future of their frontman Alvaro Morata still unclear.The Spaniard has been linked with a return to his former club Real Madrid, who have a buy-back option on the striker, and Juve are already considering replacements should he leave.And Lukaku is said to be top of their list but they would have to break the bank to land the 22-year-old, who is under contract at Goodison Park until 2019.
5 5 1. Marco Reus – click the arrow, right, to see who else Liverpool could target – Reus has enjoyed a stunning resurgence for Dortmund this season 3. Matthias Ginter – click the arrow, right, to see who else Liverpool could target – Ginter is a 21-year-old centre back and is probably familiar to fans of the Football Manager video games as one of the wonderkids available. Despite his age, he already has eight Germany caps to his name and looks set to become a top player. Ginter is a realistic target for Klopp and could be a better alternative to the unreliable Dejan Lovren. 5 4. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – click the arrow, right, to see who else Liverpool could target – Aubameyang is currently the top goalscorer in Europe with an incredible 17 goals and is one of footballs hottest properties. However, he is arguably the most unlikely of Liverpools Dortmund targets having said it is his dream to play in Spain and that he and Reus have a deal that he wont leave as long as Reus is still at the club. 5. Mats Hummels – click the arrow, right, to see who else Liverpool could target – Klopp made Hummels his captain at Dortmund and would love to have the World Cup winner under his stewardship again at Liverpool. Hummels has hinted this may be his last season at the Westfalenstadion but the Reds will need to battle off strong interest from Manchester United who enquired about the defender in the summer. 2. Roman Weidenfeller – click the arrow, right, to see who else Liverpool could target – Much speculation has been made of Klopp wanting to replace his underperforming no.1 Simon Mignolet with the Belgian yet to impress his new boss. Another World Cup winner, but he has lost his place in the starting XI and could consequently be available as soon as January. Weidenfeller would offer an experienced and trusted pair of hands for Klopp and would not come at an inflated price. Jurgen Klopp has been given the green light to raid former club Borussia Dortmund by the Bundesliga club’s CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke.Watzke confirmed there is no agreement in place between Klopp and his former club and any approach by Liverpool for a Dortmund player would not harm the relationship between the two parties.“One thing is clear, we at BVB have a very good relationship with Jurgen,” he told Die Welt.“I think there would be no conflict were there to be interest in one of our players at some point. He would contact us before (he contacts the player).”But which players would Klopp look to bring to Merseyside? talkSPORT looks at five players likely to take his fancy.Click the arrow above, right, to see who could be trading in the yellow of Dortmund for the Red of Liverpool. 5 5
Arsene Wenger called Arsenal’s defeat to Swansea at the Emirates ‘a cruel night’, while revealing both Petr Cech and Laurent Koscielny will both miss Saturday’s north London derby.Koscielny missed Tuesday’s 2-1 defeat while Cech pulled up with a calf injury while running back from attacking a late corner, an injury which will keep him out “for a while”.Swansea came from behind to beat the Gunners, but Wenger insists his side dominated the game and deserved more.“It’s a very frustrating night,” said Wenger.“I feel it was a very cruel night for us because we dominated the game and had many chances.“They had two shots on target and two goals. On top of that I believe we were very unlucky with the referee in the first half on the first goal.“He was stood next to it and it was absolutely obvious but they took advantage of it and I think it was very unfair.”Joel Campbell opened the scoring for Arsenal but was replaced by Danny Welbeck in the second half instead of the poor Olivier Giroud, much to the audible displeasure of the fans.On that decision, Wenger said: “You want your fans to be happy but on the other hand you want to make the decision that you think is right, knowing that not everyone agrees with it.”
Police work can only do so much, Singer said. “Traditional law enforcement focuses on the arrest, but it’s often just a revolving door,” Singer said. “We focus on a gang and they go to jail for two years, get out and then we put them in jail for three years,” he said. “We’ve got to give parents a way to get their kids away from gangs.” James Arenas, an administrator at Destiny Community Church, said Friday’s walk went well. “It was a tremendous success in our goal to reach one family at a time. We’re on the right track. This is one of the first times the clergy, service groups and city groups have come together with a united effort,” Arenas said. In some areas, someone was home at every residence, Arenas said. In others it wasn’t as fruitful. But most people were receptive, said Charlie Gallegos, pastor of Destiny Community Church. “I think it’s great,” said Jessi Eagleman, a resident on Bright Avenue. “If we don’t address this issue, somebody else will.” The date for the next effort will be decided on Monday. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Video: Outreach task force More than 40 volunteers spread out Friday over the lower Uptown area going door-to-door handing out bottles of water and fliers to publicize a community educational meeting designed to curtail membership in gangs. The meeting – to be held by the Hispanic Outreach Taskforce – will be from 9 a.m. to noon on Nov. 17 at Lydia Jackson Elementary School, 8015 Painter Ave. “We’re inviting families to our parent orientation program where we will be educating parents and giving them the tools to help them in keeping their children out of gangs,” said Mary Romero, executive director of the Hispanic Outreach Taskforce. The meeting will feature an inspirational speaker, workshops to help parents identify gang behavior in their children and the presence of a variety of social-service groups that can offer services, Romero said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Romero said the goal is to get more than 300 people to the meeting. And the way to do that is go out and talk to parents one-on-one. Friday’s two-hour walk was the first of what are expected to be weekly outings throughout the Uptown area to reach every family in an area bordered by Beverly and Whittier boulevards and Pickering and Painter avenues. A gang injunction against the Whittier Varrios Locos covers that same 1 square-mile area. “This effort is in response to that gang injunction,” Romero said. Whittier Police Chief David Singer called the planned meeting and publicity effort “the other side of what police do.”
A leading Donegal tax-adviser has warned the collection of the household charge will be used to target landlords not paying tax from rental and investment properties.Michael Coll of Letterkenny-based The Tax Clinic has said the non-declaration of rental income is a huge issue for the Revenue Commissioners.They will now be using the database from the collection of the household charge to arm themselves with vital information. And he warned there is now reports that there are door-to-door checks on landlords complying…or not complying!“Landlords have been cited as a target, with the mention of door-to-door checks in housing estates where it’s known that there are lots of rented houses.“It is suspected that many landlords don’t register with the Private Residential Tenancies Board and don’t pay tax on the income.“Revenue may also be interested in the source of funds used to purchase their rental property and may wish to verify that the tax has been applied as required to such income,” he added. Michael says that during the boom years many people bought second properties in Ireland and abroad.“These are now generating a rental income which they are obliged to declare on an annual Tax Return,” he said.However he says that help is on hand for people who can claim back against a raft of payments.“On a positive note there are many allowable expenses that can help reduce any potential tax bill such as, Mortgage Interest, Insurance, Repairs & Maintenance etc.”To find out more log onto www.thetaxclinic.ie or call to their offices at 40 The Port Road Letterkenny. HOUSEHOLD CHARGE DATABASE TO BE USED TO TARGET LANDLORDS – DONEGAL TAX EXPERT was last modified: April 8th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:HOUSEHOLD CHARGEMichael CollThe Tax Clinic
Michael Tunney, Head of Enterprise, Donegal Local Enterprise Office, putting the finishing touches to one of the displays for the launch of the new Donegal Creative Strategy next week. Also included in the photo are (centre) Grace Korbel of Donegal Local Enterprise Office and Fiona Higgins of Donegal Designer Makers.Steps towards establishing the right conditions for creative entrepreneurship in Donegal will be unveiled next week with the launch of the county’s first Creative Strategy.Details of the plan will be released at the Regional Cultural Centre, Letterkenny on Monday 18th May, with hopes already high that the strategy can prove as successful for the creative sector, as the Food Coast has for food in Donegal.“The core purpose is to let people grasp the creative business opportunities that exist in Donegal,” Michael Tunney, Head of Enterprise at Donegal Local Enterprise Office explained. The first steps towards developing this strategy began with a consultative process involving stakeholders from the creative sector.According to Mr Tunney, this allowed stakeholders to identify key challenges and set priority actions as they looked towards the long-term development potential for the creative sector within the county.“From those gatherings, a sense of common purpose emerged and the launch of this strategy aims now to harness the momentum that has been set in motion and allow for the careful development of a longer-term, shared ambition for the creative sector.”The Local Enterprise Office official added that the new Creative Strategy will outline a number of action plan themes, identify immediate projects for the initial phase, as well as outlining aspirations for longer-term development. “The creative sector covers a broad church, so it was clear from the outset that clarity of purpose as well as co-operation and collaboration would be critical to the successful implementation of any plan.It is evident that there is great energy among talented people already co-creating and collaborating in Donegal. There is strong interest in supporting grassroots activity and enabling the right conditions for the next wave of talent who need to be able to identify and maximise new opportunities within and outside the county. The focus of the LEO within the strategy will be to work with the sector to develop viable and sustainable businesses.”This, he said, can be realised by “joining the dots” – between the Local Enterprise Office and other departments within Donegal County Council, practitioners, educators, enterprise and tourism agencies – towards a common purpose of unlocking opportunity for the creative sectors in the County. DONEGAL’S NEW CREATIVE STRATEGY TO FOCUS ON BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES was last modified: May 13th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal Creative StrategyMichael Tunney
It is being claimed Chelsea will seal Radja Nainggolan’s transfer from Roma for £28m What other areas do you think Chelsea need to strengthen? Do you think Juan Cuadrado will still be there when Conte arrives? Will Willian be moved on?Click here to stay up to date with all transfer rumours. Roma’s Radja Nainggolan is reportedly close to agreeing a £28m transfer to Chelsea.It is thought the midfielder will become new manager Antonio Conte’s first signing when he takes control of the club after Euro 2016.Here, talkSPORT looks at how Chelsea could look with Nainggolan in the middle of what is already looking like a much more balanced midfield. 1 1
Wilfried Zaha: The Crystal Palace winger has made 42 appearances this season Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew expects Wilfried Zaha to be fit in time for the FA Cup final but has ruled him out of Saturday’s Premier League clash with Stoke.Zaha suffered a buttock injury before the semi-final over Watford last month and aggravated the strain during the Eagles’ 2-1 win at Wembley, causing him to miss last weekend’s defeat at Newcastle.And Pardew has now revealed that Zaha has suffered a muscle tear in the region but is not too concerned over his participation against his former club Manchester United at Wembley in just over two weeks’ time.“There’s no way Wilf will play this weekend,” said Pardew.“We don’t want to risk him. But he may play at Southampton.“Wilf’s a naturally fit guy. He did the injury before the semi-final and we monitored him afterwards and saw there was a slight tear.” 1