Justin Blackmon is in the record books and he has not even played a game yet for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He certainly did not plan for the dubious distinction he acquired, but then who would?Blackmon became this year’s final first-round draft pick to sign a contract. The No. 5 overall will show up for his first NFL practice Tuesday after he signs a four-year deal worth $19.5 million, according to the Florida Times-Union.As it is in today’s technologically advanced times, the Jaguars announced the contract agreement with Blackmon via the team’s Twitter account.In any case, the club is ready to have the receiver with so much potential begin working on his craft with his teammates. Blackmon isn’t likely to play in the Jaguars’ first preseason game Friday against the New York Giants. New rules call for a player to have three days of non-contact work before he’s allowed to put on full pads. Starting practice Tuesday only allows for two days of non-contact work before the preseason game.Whatever the case, Blackmon will arrive with a cloud of drama hanging over him and suspect eyes because of his troubled past.The former Oklahoma State star pleaded guilty last month to drunken driving in Oklahoma. He negotiated a deal that did not included jail time.Still, it was s disturbing scenario. Blackmon was arrested in Stillwater, Okla., on June 3 and charged with aggravated DUI when he registered a .24 alcohol level, three times the legal limit. He later apologized and indicated that he would stop drinking.This arrest followed an arrest for an alcohol-related offense while at Oklahoma State, leading to speculation that the Jaguars wanted some sort of contractual protection should he run afoul of the law again.It is not clear at this time if that kind of stipulation was a sticking point in the contract negotiations.
Print still plays a role, but Hanley Wood has committed to a future based on digital media, data services and events. As such, the company is “shifting resources” toward those ends and away from print.The b-to-b publisher focused on the professional construction and design markets has laid off 19 employees from across various disciplines that will impact two of its top titles, Builder and Remodeling.CEO Peter Goldstone confirmed the moves in comments to FOLIO:.”[Hanley Wood] is making significant investments in digital and data solution platforms, increasing headcount across the board,” he says, noting that the company has made 70 hires in the last 12 months. “The shift in resource deployment is from print to digital and data. Our digital and data businesses are up 20 to 30 percent [year-over-year]. We are fueling the growth businesses with additional resources.” Goldstone says frequency and size of the print products will remain unchanged despite the cuts. Print and digital editorial operations began merging in 2011.”We are very committed to print as we still have over 20 print brands that are performing well against our core audience sectors,” he says. “Our core asset is our construction audience database. Print is still 50 percent of our overall media expense and critical to feeding the database.””Instead of wide and thin, which is the old magazine model,” Goldstone continues, “we are expanding vertically and deep within our core audiences. This specialization requires new talent and new skills and new training.”Hanley Wood has emphasized digital- and data-first approaches with several of its smaller brands and in many of its senior-level hires—the company brought on dedicated presidents of content, digital and market intelligence—but hadn’t made major changes to its primary print products until now.Two of the company’s three biggest magazines, Builder has a total qualified circulation of 111,716, while Remodeling has 102,035 qualified subscribers, according to the most recent BPA audits from the first half of 2013. The brands’ web properties attract 161,235 and 87,621 unique visitors each month, respectively, per their media kits.Broadly, the titles’ sector has declined, but is slightly outperforming industry averages in ad pages and ad revenue, according to the latest BIN report from ABM. Building, engineering and construction magazines declined 5.9 percent in pages and 3.7 percent in revenue through the first quarter of 2013.The layoffs are the latest in a series of changes Hanley Wood has undergone as it transforms its business model. The company has been sold twice since 2005 and drastically reduced its debt through restructuring early 2012. Goldstone, who had been president of Hanley Wood from 2009 to 2010, was named CEO last year.**Editor’s note: A prior version of this article incorrectly stated that Goldstone had served as Hanley Wood’s CEO from 2009 to 2010.
Share your voice The Apple Core The iPhone X makes a comeback, catch it while you can $999 Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it $999 Mobile Phones Mentioned Above Apple iPhone XS (64GB, space gray) Review • iPhone XS review, updated: A few luxury upgrades over the XR Best Buy CNET may get a commission from retail offers. 6:16 Sprint See It $999 • See All See It Apple iPhone XS See It Preview • iPhone XS is the new $1,000 iPhone X Apple’s Group FaceTime bug gets flagged by US lawmakersApple can’t seem to shake off the ongoing negative criticism surrounding its FaceTime bug. Since the news broke last week, Apple has issued a patch with the release of iOS 12.1.4 that fixes the security flaw that allowed callers to eavesdrop on other people. The company has also issued an official statement apologizing to “customers who were affected and all who were concerned about this security issue…” and said its “committed to continuing to earn the trust Apple customers place in us.”Apple further tried to make amends by paying a visit to Grant Thompson, the Arizona teen who first spotted the flaw, at his home. In an interview with CNBC, the teen’s mom mentioned a “high-level Apple exec” had thanked her son and mentioned he could be eligible for Apple’s bug bounty program, which offers a cash reward of up to $200,000 to researchers who find and report vulnerabilities in specific Apple software. Apple has since confirmed the company’s plans to compensate the teen, but didn’t disclosed the exact sum. But the mea culpa may not be enough to quell critics. Last week, New York State Attorney General Letitia James announced she would open a formal investigation to find out why Apple didn’t give users a heads-up about the security flaw, and why it took the company so long to address the issue. Congressional lawmakers also penned a letter to Tim Cook requesting more information about the flaw to understand the extent to which it compromised users security. The letter, signed by Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (D-New Jersey), chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, and Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Illinois), chairwoman of the Digital Consumer Protection and Commerce Subcommittee, said they believe Apple has not been as transparent as this serious issue requires.iOS 13 could bring Dark Mode and more emojisThe Bloomberg report also mentions a new dark mode in the works for the iPhone, similar to what Apple rolled out for its computers with MacOS, which uses a dark color scheme instead of the traditional white. Dark mode on the iPhone would make late-night screentime a lot less jarring and would look especially good on the OLED screens of the iPhone X, XS and XS Max, which are able to produce true blacks. This feature would likely come with the update to iOS 13 in September, with an announcement coming at Apple’s Developers Conference (WWDC) in June of 2019. Emojipedia’s take on the 230 new emojis coming to the iPhone. Emojipedia Also rumored to be coming in iOS 13: 230 new emojis. Some notable additions, according to the Unicode Consortium which approves these new emojis, include: people with disabilities (with a wheelchair and probing cane), interracial and gender inclusive couples, and a some pretty essential members of the animal kingdom, like the sloth, flamingo and a skunk. And finally, iPhone X, XS, XS Max and XR users may not have to wait until September to get new characters on their keyboards. The Public beta of iOS 12.2 gave us a preview of the adorable giraffe, shark, owl and warthog Animojis that could be coming to these devices in the next few weeks. As if you needed another excuse to make weird faces at your phone. First published Feb. 7, 5:01 p.m. PTUpdate, Feb. 9 at 3:30am PT: Adds confirmation that Apple will compensate the teen who discovered the FaceTime flaw. More Apple news from the weekApple retail chief Angela Ahrendts is leaving the company in AprilApple Watch fall detector credited for saving Norwegian man after a serious fallApple iPhones are now showing AT&T’s fake ‘5G E’ network tooIn Qualcomm-Apple fight, judge limits scope of damagesApple reportedly agrees to pay France nearly $600M in back taxes Comments Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 Sep 1 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors The 2019 iPhones are rumored to have three camera lenses on their backs, but what could they be used for? The iPhone X has been spotted again on the Apple Store at a discounted price. Meanwhile, the FaceTime bug refuses to go away. Here’s a roundup of the top iPhone and Apple headlines from this week’s episode of Apple Core.What that third camera could mean for the 2019 iPhone It’s only February and we’re already starting to get a pretty good sense of what the 2019 iPhones (or iPhone 11s) will look like. Multiple rumors point to a very similar design to last year’s lineup, with a smaller notch on the screen, and a possible switch to USB-C as its port of choice rather than Lightning. We’ve also heard the pricier iPhone 11 Max would have three cameras on the back. But until now, we weren’t exactly sure what that third camera was going to be used for.A recent Bloomberg report shed some light, however. According to the report, Apple originally was said to be working on a 3D camera system for the 2019 iPhone, but then had to push it out to 2020. The new camera could scan at a range of up to 15 feet, much farther than the current True Depth camera system used on the front of the phone for FaceID, which only scans out to a range of up to 50 cm according to the report. The longer range could open up the phone to more augmented-reality features and improve portrait mode on stills and perhaps video. The third lens on this year’s iPhone, at least according to Bloomberg, would likely be used to capture a wider field of view and would only be coming to the higher-end Max model.The iPhone X makes a sneaky comebackAfter disappearing from the Apple Store without a trace in September 2018, Apple has begun selling its 10th anniversary iPhone X online again. The caveat: you’ll have to search for a refurbished model while supplies lasts. Apple began selling refurbished iPhone X’s online. Screenshot Apple.com Apple stopped selling the iPhone X shortly after releasing last year’s iPhone lineup: the iPhone XS, XS Max and the XR, presumably to prevent the X from cannibalizing sales of its new phones. The refurbished iPhone X phones were first spotted this week by MacRumors and appear to be selling out fast.And though they are discounted from the original $999 price, the discounts aren’t that great when you compare them to the iPhone XR. An unlocked iPhone X with 64GB of storage goes for $769. That’s only $230 less than the iPhone XS with the same storage capacity, but $20 more that the 64GB iPhone XR. And even though it’s an entire year older, the 256GB model is the exact same price as the equivalent iPhone XR. The iPhone X is smaller than the XR — if that’s what you’re into — and has a dual rear camera and an OLED screen, compared to the XR’s single rear camera and LCD screen. Apple Boost Mobile reading • What the 2019 iPhone’s rumored three rear cameras could be used for Now playing: Watch this: 6 $999 See it Tags Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? iOS 12 Apple
1:15 Now playing: Watch this: Comment Google+ communities can migrate to Tapatalk for free. Tapatalk Tapatalk’s forum app is offering a new home for soon to be platform-less Google+ communities. The company announced Wednesday that moderators and owners of communities can migrate their data to Tapatalk for free.Moderators or owners of Google+ communities can fill out a form to request a migration to Tapatalk, the company said in a release Wednesday. Users will see a preview of what their community will look like in Tapatalk Groups. Tapatalk can move all the content after being given moderator access and doesn’t need any of your backup files. After the migration, community members can log in to Tapatalk with Google Sign In. “We believe in the value of online communities and are committed to ensuring members of Google+ communities can continue to engage on the topics they are passionate about,” Winter Wong, CEO of Tapatalk, said in the press release. “We’re proud to enable this transition and support these communities with end-to-end migration services and a host of new added benefits that are proven to help online forums thrive.”Google announced the decision to shutter its social network Google+ last October after a massive data breach. Google said that between 2015 and March 2018, up to 500,000 users’ personal data was exposed. The company planned to sunset the network in August 2019.Two months later the company moved up the shutdown date to April 2019 after a bug affected more than 50 million users. Here’s how to use Google’s Password Checkup tool 1 Tags Software Share your voice
Kolkata: The facility of applying online for driving licence will become available in all the Regional Transport Offices and Assistant Regional Transport Offices in the state before Durga Puja.This comes at the time when the state government has made production of driving licence mandatory to buy motorbikes, a step taken to check road accidents.According to a senior official of the state Transport department, at present there are as many as 50 offices across the state from where driving licence is given to applicants following necessary tests. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeOne more office of ARTO is going to be added soon, with one coming up at Katwa. With inauguration of the ARTO at Katwa that is scheduled on September 3, the total number of the offices that deal with driving licence will go up to 51.The official said that till date, there are 28 such offices where the facility of giving online application to get driving licence is available.”We have set a target to complete developing infrastructure in all the offices for the same and we are hopeful that the facility will become available in all the offices before Durga Puja,” the official said. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedExplaining the process of applying online for driving licence, another official said that one needs to log in to the website www.parivahan.gov.in and click on “Driving Licence Related Services”. Subsequently, an applicant has to proceed as directed to key in all necessary information, including some mandatory fields. Finally, an application number will get generated, with which the applicant has to visit the RTO or ARTO along with all relevant documents in his or her district, to give biometric details and get the date and time when he or she can sit for an online test.The applicant will pass the test if six out of ten answers are correct and gets the learner licence within two days. In case of failure, one can again sit for the test after seven days of the first one. The same process has to be followed online to get the date and time for the trial for the permanent licence, between the 30th and 180th day from the day the learner licence is issued.