Tag Archives: 419论坛

UNC’s Brice Johnson Tackled Duke’s Athletic Director Chasing A Loose Ball

first_imgBrice Johnson falls into the crowd.North Carolina held off 1-seed Virginia in tonight’s ACC semifinal, and if Duke can take care of business against Notre Dame later on, the two in-state rivals will meet for the league’s tournament title on Saturday. If so, Blue Devils AD Kevin White may want to find another seat.White, sitting on press row at the Greensboro Coliseum, was completely taken out by North Carolina big man Brice Johnson near the end of the game. Johnson was chasing down a loose ball and somehow wound up jumping onto the table and accidentally tackling the Duke AD.UNC’s Brice Johnson Tackles Duke AD Chasing Loose Ball #LifeComesAtYouFast http://t.co/qPDeUegWEk— The Cauldron (@TheCauldron) March 14, 2015We have a feeling that North Carolina fans are going to enjoy sharing this one.last_img

Sexual misconduct often part of the job in hospitality work

first_imgCHICAGO – One woman recalls how a general manager at a Chicago-area restaurant where she worked told her that if security cameras recorded him reaching between her legs and grabbing her genitals, he could simply “edit that out.”Another woman worked at an Atlanta restaurant and says her boss did nothing when two dishwashers kept making vulgar comments, so she quit wearing makeup to look less attractive and hopefully end the verbal abuse.In the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against several prominent men in entertainment, politics and journalism, accounts like the ones these women share quietly play out in restaurants, bars and hotels across the country and rarely get the headlines.Court documents and interviews with the women and experts on the topic show hospitality industry workers are routinely subjected to sexual abuse and harassment from bosses, co-workers and customers that are largely unchecked. The nature of the work, which often has employees relying on tips, can make them especially vulnerable to abuse.“I was absolutely humiliated,” said Sharonda Fields, who said the abuse at the Atlanta restaurant began shortly after she started working there last year. “It was degrading. I felt embarrassed. I felt low. I just felt like nothing happened when those guys talked to me that way, and especially when the staff and the managers knew what was going on. It made me feel like dirt.”She filed a lawsuit against the restaurant last spring. Calls to the restaurant from The Associated Press went unanswered.Joyce Smithey, an Annapolis, Maryland, attorney who has handled several sexual harassment lawsuits, said those accused of misconduct “have a great sense of who the victims are, who the women are who will put up with this, who need the job, are so scared they don’t fight back.”That’s especially true in an industry where immigrants are a large part of the workforce. In a 2014 federal lawsuit in New York that was ultimately settled, a woman alleged that the general manager of a fast-food restaurant where she worked asked about her immigration status regularly and knew that she was “even more vulnerable” partly because she had no family in the United States.Many accusers think fighting back is futile. According to a survey in Chicago, not only had 49 per cent of hotel workers reported incidents in which guests “exposed themselves, flashed them or answered the door naked,” but just 1 in 3 of the workers who had such experiences reported it to a boss.Sarah Lyons, a research analyst with UNITE HERE Local 1, the union that conducted the survey last year and represents more than 15,000 hospitality workers in the Chicago area and northwestern Indiana, said the most common reason these workers didn’t come forward is because they knew someone who tried to report sexual misconduct and nothing changed as a result.Often things can get worse for those who report misconduct. Attorneys and advocates for workers say waitresses who speak out risk facing retaliation: Their shifts can be taken away or they might be scheduled for slower business times when there are fewer opportunities to receive tips.In a 2011 lawsuit against a Maryland yacht club, Victoria Tillbery reported that a boss had told her she would “never have to worry about your shifts” if she let him perform oral sex on her. She refused and after she reported her allegations to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, her job started making her do her prep duties during shifts and not before them. That took her away from waiting tables and earning tips.Attorneys say the goal in these situations is to prompt the employee to quit and, if that doesn’t work, the worker is often made the target of an effort to discredit her character.After Fields, the Atlanta restaurant worker, refused to quit, “false and bogus reasons to terminate her” surfaced, her attorney said.“They enlisted another employee to falsely state that she (Fields) had come up to her and said, ‘If you agree to back me up on my claim I’ll pay you $100,’” said Fields’ attorney, Brad Dozier.The other worker, hoping to gain favour with the bosses and get a promotion, made the false claim and the restaurant used it to fire Fields, Dozier said.The woman who recounted the story about the Calumet City, Illinois, restaurant general manager, who suggested he would edit security camera footage of him inappropriately touching her, said she rebuffed the man’s advances. After that, Vger Williams said, a job opportunity she was promised at one of the restaurant chain’s other locations never developed and she was fired.Williams filed a lawsuit last month. Restaurant officials declined comment when reached by the AP.Workers who are sexually harassed by customers are often under pressure to remain quiet, too.David Craver, president of the National Bartenders Association, said companies don’t want to lose business so “they roll out the red carpet to every customer.”“It’s just like if a family member said something inappropriate, you can’t get rid of family,” he said.A lot of harassment occurs in situations in which the workers are underpaid, said Saru Jayaraman, co-founder of the Restaurant Opportunities Centers United, a national organization that works to improve industry conditions. She said managers often encourage waitresses to dress sexier to get more tips, which can lead to sexual misconduct. If the workers were paid more, they wouldn’t have to rely on tips and the misconduct would decrease, she said.Improvements have shown up in other ways. In October, following the lead of voters in Seattle the year before, the Chicago City Council passed an ordinance requiring hotels to develop anti-harassment policies and to provide panic buttons to workers by next summer if they work alone in guest rooms.Also in October, celebrity chef John Besh stepped down from the company he founded after 25 women alleged that male supervisors at Besh’s New Orleans restaurants sexually harassed them. One woman says Besh pressured her into a sexual relationship, but Besh has said he believes it was consensual.While suing is one way victims of misconduct can fight back, most settlements contain nondisclosure clauses that prevent them from talking about what happened to them. So the incidents are not publicized.“It fosters the problem we are seeing so much of (because) these serial harassers, bullies and predators aren’t talked about,” Boston employment attorney James Weliky said.last_img read more

Ontario Teachers Pension Plan part of new GFL Environmental investor group

first_imgTORONTO – GFL Environmental Inc. is getting new investors including the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and private equity firm BC Partners in a deal that values the waste-management company at about $5.125 billion.Under the agreement, GFL founder and chief executive Patrick Dovigi will maintain his role and leadership of the Toronto-based private company as well as a significant ownership stake.“Having founded the company, it was very important to me to find partners that shared the same principles, values and vision, along with having significant capital to fund our ambitious growth plans,” Dovigi said in a statement.Financial details of the transaction weren’t disclosed.The BC Partners-led investor group, which has worked with other Canadian pension plans in the past, will acquire the interests of funds managed or associated with HPS Investment Partners, Macquarie Infrastructure Partners III and Hawthorn Equity Partners.HPS Investment Partners acquired a non-controlling interest in GFL in November 2014. The Macquarie fund became an equity investor in GFL in February 2016 when GFL bought the Matrec solid waste business from Montreal-based Transforce, now called TFI International.“We think there are more and more opportunities to continue the geographic expansion, both in Canada — really coast-to-coast — but also select markets in the U.S.,” said Paolo Notarnicola, a senior partner at BC Partners, who led the investment.BC Partners typically invests in “defensive growth” opportunities that includes resilient market sectors plus the potential for mergers or acquisitions and organic growth of the underlying business, he said.In the GFL situation, there will likely be an initial public offering in a few years that will provides BC Partners with a gradual exist from the company — but only time will tell which route the management and investors will decide to take, Notarnicola said.There had been an unconfirmed report in January that GFL had hired advisers to lead an initial public offering, which would have sold GFL shares to be listed on a stock exchange.Ontario Teachers’ didn’t respond to requests for comment Monday.The transaction is expected to close by June 30, subject to customary closing conditions.GFL has more than 5,000 employees and provides local services to more than 2.5 million households under municipal contracts and to more than 60,000 industrial, commercial and institutional customers.A report by Moody’s Investor Services in February indicated GFL had about $1.35 billion of revenue last year, with 72 per cent coming from solid waste management, 17 per cent from soil remediation and 11 per cent from liquid waste.Canadian markets accounted for 80 per cent of GFL’s revenue, with 20 per cent from the United States, Moody’s said.Moody’s also said at the time that GFL’s long-term debt rating was B2, which is below investment-grade, with a negative outlook — mostly because of its high debt-ratio.On the other hand, Moody’s said GFL has a well-diversified business with margins comparable to its peers.last_img read more

The Latest Fishermen plead guilty in shark finning case

first_imgHONOLULU — The Latest on shark fin smuggling charges (all times local):11:45 a.m.Four Indonesian fishermen who were arrested in Hawaii and charged with attempting to smuggle shark fins have pleaded guilty to a lesser charge.Court records show the four men pleaded guilty Friday to a misdemeanour charge that they attempted to export the fins. A judge sentenced them to time they already served in jail.Six others who were charged with smuggling are expected to plead guilty to the same charge and receive the same sentence later Friday.The owner and officers of the Japanese fishing boat they were working on have been charged with aiding and abetting the trafficking and smuggling of shark fins. A co-operative the boat belongs to is also charged.It’s against U.S. law to remove the fins of sharks at sea. Prosecutors say the fishermen harvested fins from some sharks that were still alive and then discarded in the ocean.___9: 10 a.m.U.S. prosecutors in Hawaii are accusing the owners and officers of a Japanese fishing boat of helping Indonesian fishermen smuggle nearly 1,000 shark fins, worth about $58,000 on the black market.Boat owners Hamada Suisan Co. Ltd. and JF Zengyoren, or Japan Fisheries Cooperatives in English, are charged with aiding and abetting the smuggling. Ten fishermen have been charged with smuggling.A Hamada representative in Japan said Friday that the Indonesian crew members had shark fins without the captain’s knowledge.JF Zengyoren declined to comment, saying it hadn’t seen the complaint.It’s against U.S. law to remove the fins of sharks at sea. Prosecutors say the fishermen harvested fins from some sharks that were still alive and then discarded in the ocean.Fins are a pricey delicacy often used in soups.The Associated Presslast_img read more

England debutant wins grandfather £17000

first_imgLewis Cook has won his grandfather £17,000 after making his debut for England at their international friendly against Italy on TuesdayThe Telegraph has reported that the grandfather, Trevor Burlingham, made a £500 bet back in 2014 that Cook would make his international debut for England before the age of 26.Back then, Cook was just 18 years-old and coming through the youth ranks at Championship side Leeds United with Burlingham making the bet at his local William Hill in Tadcaster, north Yorkshire for odds of 33/1.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…The now Bournemouth midfielder met his grandfather’s prediction by coming on as a 71st minute substitute for Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard in England’s 1-1 draw against Italy at Wembley.The bookies William Hill have now announced that it is the biggest payout they have done since awarding Peter Edwards £125,000 for his grandson Harry Wilson making his Wales debut in 2013. The winger was just 18 months old when his grandfather made the bet.Another famous story was when the father of former Liverpool goalkeeper Chris Kirkland won £10,000 for making his international debut with the bet having been made while the goalkeeper was 12 years-old.last_img read more

Sweden – England lineups announced

first_imgThe lineups for the Sweden – England World Cup 2018 quarter-final fixture have been announced.There are no surprises on either side. Both coaches are going with tested lineups and tactics.Sweden starting lineup vs. EnglandGoalkeeper – Robin Olsen Defenders – Ludwig Augustinsson, Andreas Granqvist, Victor Lindelof and Emil Krafth Midfielders – Sebastian Larsson, Viktor Claesson, Albin Ekdal and Emil Forsberg Forwards – Ola Toivonen and Marcus BergJanne Andersson is without his starting right back Mikael Lustig, who is suspended. Emil Krafth takes his spot. Viktor Claesson and Albin Ekdal are in danger of missing a potential semi-final in case of another booking today.England starting lineup vs. SwedenGoalkeeper – Jordan Pickford Defenders – Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, John Stones, Harry Maguire and Ashley Young Midfielders – Jordan Henderson, Dele Alli, Jesse Lingard and Raheem Sterling Forward – Harry KaneGareth Southgate’s starting lineup is exactly the same one which started the game against Colombia. Kyle Walker, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Jordan Henderson and Jesse Lingard go into the game on one booking and will be suspended for the semi-final if they are to receive yellow cards today.last_img read more

For Rafa Mir his spell with Wolves was difficult

first_imgThe 21-year-old forward is currently very happy to be back in the Spanish La Liga, playing with Las Palmas on loanSpanish forward Rafa Mir started his professional career with Valencia B in 2015, and the same year he played for the first team in the Spanish La Liga.But after only two matches in the first division, he didn’t see any more action and was sold in 2018 to the Wolverhampton Wanderers in the English Premier League.And history repeated itself.Two matches with the Wolves made him very frustrated, so he was loaned to Las Palmas in the Spanish La Liga.“It was a very hard time for me and my family, what hurt the most was not having the minutes I wanted,” he was quoted by the Birmingham Mail.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“If I had had the time I would have adapted better, it was a period of adaptation and it is not easy to enter mid-year.”“In the end, it was the decision that was made and I am happy on the one hand,” he added.“When a big club looks at you, every player thinks of moving to that side.”“It is true that depends on others because there are advisors or sports directors,” he commented.“It could not be and I am left with the positive that I got from England, we have to keep working and why not go [to Real Madrid] someday?”last_img read more

Changes Made To Workplace Smoking Ban Bill

first_imgFacebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Senate Bill 63, the Smokefree Workplace bill, advanced out of the House Rules Committee last night, with a few adjustments. The House Rules Committee advanced a rewrite of the smoke-free workplace bill that would allow communities to opt out via local elections and excludes e-cigarettes and marijuana from the definition of smoking. The original bill had widespread support, but House Rules Committee Chair Gabrielle LeDoux refused to schedule it for a vote on the House floor. She said the state should not force municipalities into a program they may not want. Senator Peter Micciche (R-K-Pen) is the sponsor of the bill that was introduced in 2016 that ultimately failed after clearing the Senate. If the bill passes the House, the Senate must decide whether to accept the new changes.last_img read more

DFG Close Kachemak Bay Personal Use Coho Fishery

first_imgThe DF&G opened the fishery last Thursday for a 48-hour fishing period, but an emergency order closed personal use gillnetting early Saturday morning. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Department of Fish and Game has announced the closure of the personal use coho fishery in Kachemak Bay. The department issued 190 permits this year compared to the 140 permits it issues on average each year. According to closure notice, this fishery will stay CLOSED for the remainder of the 2018 season. Permit holders are reminded to return their personal use permits to the Homer office within 10 days after the closure, or by August 29. Any permit holder who fails to return their personal use fishing permit to the Homer office will not be eligible to receive a permit in 2019, according to DF&G.last_img read more