“What excites me is that we are clearly so close to having completed a state-of-the art building that needs to have exciting exhibits that will create enthusiasm in children,” she said. “There will be wonderful themes. The museum is uniquely Los Angeles.” Museum officials have been reluctant to set a completion date, saying the high cost of steel, along with low contributions, have caused delays. An opening was scheduled for this fall, but could now come in spring 2008, museum officials have said. email@example.com (818) 713-3664160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “A lot of very strong names floated around, but we chose her based upon her solid experience in the Valley and her absolute commitment in getting this done,” Roos said. “There was just a zest and enthusiasm and a can-do attitude that she gave off that enthralled us. She has a presence, the background, the social business relationships that you need in a CEO.” Co-chairman Bruce Corwin said Glassman’s ties to the Valley will ultimately become the museum’s greatest asset. “Cecilia Glassman’s passion for the children of Los Angeles, combined with her business acumen and past success promoting quality-of-life initiatives within our community, make her the ideal person to lead the Children’s Museum through this critical phase of its development,” Corwin said. Married with two children, Glassman is regarded as a prominent real estate development and management executive. A major part of her duties as chief executive officer includes approving and hiring contractors to finish the exhibits within the 57,000-square-foot facility. LAKE VIEW TERRACE – Hoping to re-energize efforts to complete the Los Angeles Children’s Museum before another deadline comes and goes, museum officials named a new leader Friday who has deep ties to the San Fernando Valley’s business and community sectors. Cecilia Aguilera Glassman, 49, whose r sum lists involvement in several city commissions from combating illiteracy to working under former Mayor Richard Riordan, was chosen to fill a spot left vacant by Executive Director Mark Dierking. Dierking was forced to leave for failing to raise $14 million needed to complete the $52 million museum near Hansen Dam. Museum board co-chairman Mike Roos called Glassman’s appointment the best decision the board will make the entire year.
Fabio Borini Every summer there is always one transfer which leaves football fans shocked.Mesut Ozil to Arsenal, Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano to West Ham and many more have left supporters astounded and it appears this transfer window will be the same – although maybe not for the right reasons.Fabio Borini had a decent – but nothing more – loan spell with Sunderland last year after Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers decided the player needed first-team football.But now the Mackems have decided to shell out a staggering £14million on the forward, who scored seven Premier League goals last season and it has left supporters around the globe completely stunned.Check out all the reaction to the deal here… 1
1 Everton striker Romelu Lukaku Juventus are lining up a summer move for Everton star Romelu Lukaku, according to reports in Italy.The Turin giants have been long-term admirers of the Belgian striker and have been impressed with his strike rate so far this term.Lukaku has scored seven goals in just 12 Premier League outings this season and Everton are reportedly bracing themselves for offers.And now, according to Sportitalia, Juve could make their move as early as next summer, with the future of their frontman Alvaro Morata still unclear.The Spaniard has been linked with a return to his former club Real Madrid, who have a buy-back option on the striker, and Juve are already considering replacements should he leave.And Lukaku is said to be top of their list but they would have to break the bank to land the 22-year-old, who is under contract at Goodison Park until 2019.
A leading Donegal tax-adviser has warned the collection of the household charge will be used to target landlords not paying tax from rental and investment properties.Michael Coll of Letterkenny-based The Tax Clinic has said the non-declaration of rental income is a huge issue for the Revenue Commissioners.They will now be using the database from the collection of the household charge to arm themselves with vital information. And he warned there is now reports that there are door-to-door checks on landlords complying…or not complying!“Landlords have been cited as a target, with the mention of door-to-door checks in housing estates where it’s known that there are lots of rented houses.“It is suspected that many landlords don’t register with the Private Residential Tenancies Board and don’t pay tax on the income.“Revenue may also be interested in the source of funds used to purchase their rental property and may wish to verify that the tax has been applied as required to such income,” he added. Michael says that during the boom years many people bought second properties in Ireland and abroad.“These are now generating a rental income which they are obliged to declare on an annual Tax Return,” he said.However he says that help is on hand for people who can claim back against a raft of payments.“On a positive note there are many allowable expenses that can help reduce any potential tax bill such as, Mortgage Interest, Insurance, Repairs & Maintenance etc.”To find out more log onto www.thetaxclinic.ie or call to their offices at 40 The Port Road Letterkenny. HOUSEHOLD CHARGE DATABASE TO BE USED TO TARGET LANDLORDS – DONEGAL TAX EXPERT was last modified: April 8th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:HOUSEHOLD CHARGEMichael CollThe Tax Clinic
The simple fact is that Gnostic groups were never as widely popular as revisionists would have us believe. They weren’t even a cohesive movement, but a variety of groups who held several views in common, among them that creation itself is evil; the body is a hindrance, a mere vessel for the spirit; women especially are corrupt. “The Gospel of Judas” is no different. Written very late to be considered in any way authoritative, it also faces the unique difficulty that its supposed source, Judas, killed himself. I suppose that Judas conceivably could have thrown the 30 silver coins back in Caiaphas’ face, stopped off for coffee, and written down or related the “real” events of the previous week before going off to hang himself, but I find myself strangely skeptical on this point. But loose facts and logic never stopped a good story. Maybe Tom Hanks will be available for this movie, too: “Life is like a box of bad chocolates. You never know when one will turn on you.” Tad Cronn is a writer and speaker from West Hills. Write to him by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Attention, conspiracy theorists: We are happy to announce the next New York Times best seller, “The Gospel of Judas.” Soon to be a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks. Wait, scratch that last part; that’s “The Da Vinci Code.” A newly translated codex that scholars purport to be the long-lost “Gospel of Judas” is supposedly shaking up traditional views of Christianity by depicting Judas as Jesus’ best friend who was only following Jesus’ orders when he sold out to the authorities. “Judas the hero” is the headline of the day for TV, radio, Web sites and newspapers. The appropriate response from Christians should be a collective yawn. The earliest mention of a “Gospel of Judas” comes from St. Irenaeus, circa 180 A.D. Irenaeus refers to members of a Gnostic sect calling themselves Cainites. In their gospel, according to Irenaeus, Judas was portrayed as a man who knew secret “truths” that led him to betray Jesus. Part of the newly completed translation says of Judas in relation to the other disciples: “But you will exceed all of them. For you will sacrifice the man that clothes me.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventSo, far from betrayer, Judas is the enabler, even a hero. Holy plot twist! Actually, it’s just typical Gnostic fluff, but this story will have legs for the same reason “The Da Vinci Code” became a best-seller. Both are suited perfectly to take advantage of the public’s ignorance of history. There are plenty of Gnostic so-called “gospels” floating around, most of them claiming to relate the “real story” about some aspect of Jesus’ life. This was the inspiration for “The Da Vinci Code” and “Holy Blood, Holy Grail” years before it. According to Bible revisionists, these widely accepted gospels were excised from the Bible by closed-minded men at the Council of Nicaea who forced people to accept the radical notion that Jesus the Son and the Father were one. Reality check: The Council of Nicaea dealt with the issue of Arianism, which denied that Jesus and the Father were equal. Of the 250-300 bishops present, only a few opposed the Nicaean Creed as it was formulated. Their opposition was to the use of wording that was not in the Bible, though not to the ideas expressed in the creed. The other burning issue at this gathering of radicals? When to celebrate Easter. No editing. No burning of heretics. No suppression. The bishops simply expressed what was already accepted, centuries-old doctrine.