Dear EditorWhile growing plantain and making plantain chips would replace imported plantain chips and save a little foreign currency it would not replace the foreign currency lost through the “downsizing” of Guyana’s sugar industry.While the APNU+AFC Government of President David Granger focuses on saving foreign exchange, it is not focused on gaining foreign currency.This Government has not really thought about Guyana’s oil potential.It has been nearly three years now since oil was discovered offshore Guyana, and we have only had one major investment forum to attract investors to Guyana.Clearly, what the Government can do is to market Guyana’s oil potential a bit better, by travelling abroad to sensitise most of the major oil producing countries to our oil potential — which it has not done.It is good that we have oil, but if we are not going to market and sell the oil, but wait for foreigners to do it for us, then Guyana would remain underdeveloped.It is not just about oil. It is about using the oil discovery to market our other industries, like rice, sugar, bauxite, gold, fisheries, timber, etc. It is about marketing Guyana’s potential.Yours faithfullySean Ori
… as Ministry begins search for replacementChief Education Officer (CEO) Olato Sam, with immediate effect, will no longer be holding his position and reports are circulating that he may have been booted.Olato SamA source indicated that Sam’s contract had ended and the Education Ministry had chosen not to renew it and so he was sent on his “annual” leave.“We heard that they would not renew his contract and that his removal was overdue,” the source said.The Education Ministry released a statement confirming that he will no longer be functioning “effective immediately” as the CEO since his contracted has ended.“Mr Sam has served the sector with distinction and zeal for the past eight years, five of which he served as CEO. The Ministry wishes to thank Mr Sam for his contributions to the education sector in Guyana and extends best wishes to him for all future endeavours,” the statement read, adding that the position for CEO is expected to be advertised shortly with the hope of finding a suitably qualified candidate by the end of September 2016.Sam was noticeably absent from the Ministry’s press conference earlier this week, during the announcement of Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) and the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE) results. The CEO would usually present the results but this year, he did not. Instead Acting Chief Education Officer (Nursery), Ingrid Trotman made the presentation.When contacted on Friday, Sam refused on comment on the matter, only stating that he was sent on leave by the Ministry.“I have nothing to say about this… you need to talk to the Minister. I’m officially on leave from the Ministry,” he said.He stated that the allegation of his contract termination should be addressed to the Education Minister. However, when this publication attempted to contact Minister Rupert Roopnaraine on the matter, he was unavailable.Nevertheless, his Public Relations Officer Suelle Williams indicated that Sam was sent on his annual vacation leave.Sam was appointed the CEO of the Ministry in 2011 after serving five years as the Technical Advisor to the Education Minister. He also has a Masters’ Degree in International Education, and has lectured at the University of Guyana’s School of Education and Humanities, the Departments of Foundations and Education Management and Curriculum and Instruction.He has a Bachelor’s Degree in ‘Sociology, Anthropology and Education’ from the Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania.
The spokesman of the government of Sierra Leone, Mr. Abdulai Bayraytay, said his government is awaiting the scientific report from the committee responsible for the fight against the Ebola pandemic in that country, before a determination is made on the success of the three-day lockdown.In a telephone interview with a Liberian journalist yesterday, Mr. Bayraytay disclosed that the lockdown, which started last Friday, was welcomed by the majority and that some are even suggesting that it continues.Mr. Bayraytay was, however, quick to point out that any decision by government to carry out a monthly three-day lockdown as suggested by many residents in the country, will depend on the outcome of the scientific report from field workers used during the lockdown.About 30,000 fieldworkers were trained and deployed throughout the country of over six million people.Mr. Bayraytay disclosed that the amount of US$1.6 Million was used during the lockdown, with the amount of US$700,000.00 from the coffers of the Government of Sierra Leone, while the rest came from friends of the country and NGOs.During the lockdown, Mr. Bayraytay said over150 people willingly reported to the nearest holding or isolation centre to be tested.The curfew in Sierra Leone came into force on Friday morning, with most of the country’s six million inhabitants confined to their homes.Around 30,000 medical volunteers travelled to affected neighborhoods to find patients and distribute soap.Deputy Chief Medical Officer Sarian Kamara said authorities had managed to discover 22 new cases of the virus during the curfew.”Had they not been discovered, they would have greatly increased transmission,” he said.He also said between 60 and 70 Ebola victims were buried during the three days of the lockdown, and that the authorities had managed to discover 22 new cases of the virus during the curfew.The three-day curfew is the most aggressive measure yet taken against the virus by a West African country.Sierra Leone has been one of the countries worst affected by the outbreak, with more than 550 victims among the 2,600 deaths so far recorded.Like Sierra Leone, Liberia is currently battling with the Ebola pandemic, and its citizens and residents are presently observing a 90-day state of emergency declared in August by President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
However, the rest of the Bruins combined for 25 points, and power forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, who played with blurred vision after being elbow in the right eye in the first half, was scoreless for the first time in his career. Indeed, moving a half-game ahead of Washington State (22-4, 11-3) in the conference standings proved to be much more trying for a UCLA squad that continues to have difficulty against zone defenses. “We’re not hitting the high post sometimes when we’re open,” UCLA coach Ben Howland said. “We’re hesitant and tentative, at times, to do that. We can’t be like that. “We have to be not afraid to make mistakes against the zone. It’s like we’re playing on our heels a little bit, and you can’t play like that. You have to play aggressively at both ends.” The Bruins won, but that it took such a rally to beat Arizona State is reason for concern. The Sun Devils (6-19, 0-14) have lost 15 straight and are on the verge of becoming the first team to finish Pac-10 play without a win. ASU has already matched the worst start by a team since the Pac-10 expanded to 10 teams in 1978-79 and can be the first to fall to 0-15 with a loss Sunday to USC. It took an 18-2 run late in the second half and perfect free-throw shooting in the final minute, but the fifth-ranked Bruins survived to reclaim sole possession of first place with a 67-61 defeat of hapless Arizona State in front of 8,071 Thursday at Wells Fargo Arena. Arron Afflalo led UCLA (22-3, 11-2 Pac-10) with 24 points and Darren Collison returned from a one-game absence with a left shoulder injury to score 18. TEMPE, Ariz. – The failure to attack a zone with zest surfaced yet again, and a big-time deficit existed again as well, but so did UCLA’s most enduring quality – poise. And this time it came while facing a potentially nationally embarrassing moment. On the verge of losing to what may become the worst team in Pacific-10 Conference history, the Bruins finally found their defensive prowess and offensive aggression. So when UCLA trailed 49-39 after Antwi Atuahene’s layup with 10:58 to play, it was alarming. “We weren’t particularly playing great defense and we have to do a little bit better job of how we attack the zone,” Afflalo said. “(Defense) is supposed to be our M.O. We have to get rid of those lapses. I can’t pinpoint it for you, but it’s getting pretty late in the season, and (it is) an important part of the season where we’re playing for something. We need to focus.” After ASU took its 10-point lead, UCLA clamped down.ASU’s next field goal came with 44.9 seconds remaining, a banked-in 3-pointer by Christian Polk. Between Atuahene’s basket and Polk’s 3-pointer, the Sun Devils were done in by their own incompetence of ill-advised or rushed shots, failures to recognized mismatches (like Collison guarding center Jeff Pendergraph, who led ASU with 14 points) and silly fouls away from the basket. After playing hesitantly against ASU’s matchup 2-3 zone, Collison began penetrating better and UCLA’s ball movement improved. The urgency also surfaced, and was evident when Josh Shipp sparked the Bruins’ rally with an offensive rebound and dunk off Alfred Aboya’s missed foul shot. Collison followed with a pair of 3-pointers, and he gave the Bruins a 51-50 lead with a nifty off-balance floater in the lane with 5:52 to play. Afflalo finished the run with a 3-pointer as UCLA went ahead 57-51 with 4:12 to play. Afflalo and Shipp then went 10 for 10 from the free throw line in the last 54.1 seconds to ice the victory. “What got us going was Josh’s dunk,” Collison said. “We started to feed off of that. We just felt energized after that play.” But it wasn’t easy, and Mbah a Moute’s right eye was the evidence of how trying this win became. He was elbowed by Pendergraph in the first half, played with blurred vision the rest of the way and sported an abrasion below the eye afterward. “It’s very blurry,” said Mbah a Moute, who went 0 for 6 in 34 minutes. “I just saw the doctor and he said it’s going to be blurry for a little bit and by (today) it should be fine. So I’ll just have to wait. I see blurry. It’s very fuzzy.” firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3607 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Wilfried Zaha: The Crystal Palace winger has made 42 appearances this season Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew expects Wilfried Zaha to be fit in time for the FA Cup final but has ruled him out of Saturday’s Premier League clash with Stoke.Zaha suffered a buttock injury before the semi-final over Watford last month and aggravated the strain during the Eagles’ 2-1 win at Wembley, causing him to miss last weekend’s defeat at Newcastle.And Pardew has now revealed that Zaha has suffered a muscle tear in the region but is not too concerned over his participation against his former club Manchester United at Wembley in just over two weeks’ time.“There’s no way Wilf will play this weekend,” said Pardew.“We don’t want to risk him. But he may play at Southampton.“Wilf’s a naturally fit guy. He did the injury before the semi-final and we monitored him afterwards and saw there was a slight tear.” 1