April 2021

Inter Link sales hit as Mr Kipling bounces back

first_imgCake giant Inter Link had its first major setback last week as it issued a surprise profit warning, blaming unsuccessful promotional activity in April.Inter Link said April is traditionally one of its busiest trading periods, but that significant promotional activity had been unsuccessful. Like-for-like sales for the year to May 6, 2006 will be up by around 8% at £130m – £10m less than forecast, a fall blamed by analysts on the recovery of Manor Bakeries’ Mr Kipling brand. David Lang from Investec commented that Inter Link “hit an air pocket in April”, after sales weakened in February and March. Private-label had been squeezed by a resurgence of Manor Bakeries’ Mr Kipling brand over the period, with strong offers such as ‘two for £1.80’ on cake slices. He said: “Mr Kipling’s performance had been quite disastrous, but it is recovering now. It has taken a lot of costs out. It has reduced advertising and has switched to promoting more. It is giving much better brand leadership than before.” Mr Kipling is now breaking even on annual sales of around £200m, he calculated, and Inter Link, which has “had a bit of a free ride against Mr Kipling”, has suffered, he suggested. However, Inter Link is still on track for strong growth, with overall sales expected to be up 34% and year-on-year pre-tax profits of “not less than 25%”.Inter Link indicated it will look at expanding production in its Polish factory, where costs are lower than in the UK. And it is continuing to seek “attractive acquisition opportunities”.last_img read more

How Bakers Can Cut Costs – Simply by Changing the Icing on the Cake

first_imgAcross the food industry, costs are at an all-time high, skilled labour is at a premium and waste is affecting the bottom line like never before. Combine these factors with a downturned global economy that’s forcing consumers to eliminate excess purchases or “treats”, and independent, retail and industrial bakers in particular are facing an unprecedented recipe for decreased sales.This white paper describes how bakers across the industry can cut costs, reduce spoilage, accommodate a variety of skill sets and increase profits just by changing the icing on the cake.Download this Free white paper now – click the link belowlast_img

In Short

first_imgISB bread criticismThe Real Bread Campaign has published a report criticising in-store bakery loaves, claiming that many are made with processing aids and artificial additives. It also pointed out that ISBs do not always make their breads from scratch.Rowe’s challengeRowe’s Bakery recently launched a competition for students undertaking graphic design, contemporary crafts and illustration courses at University College Falmouth, to create a piece of work that encapsulated Rowe’s 60 years of baking heritage in Cornwall. The winning design a collaboration between two students saw Ben Cridland and Janie Tonkin walk away with a £600 prize.Support for womenImprove, the food and drink sector skills council, and the National Skills Academy for Food and Drink Manufacturing have secured funding to relaunch the Women and Work programme, which aims to help women access higher-paid and skilled careers, through subsidised training. The new expanded programme will offer grants of £650, which can be used to help fund a broad range of training, qualifications, short courses and coaching.Retailers’ share slowsKantar Worldpanel’s latest grocery market share figures, for the 12 weeks ending 21 March 2010, have revealed a fall in growth of the major retailers to the lowest level since 2007, at 3.6%. Asda lost 0.2% market share. Both Aldi and Lidl also experienced loss of market share. However, Morrisons has grown its market share by 0.5%, with sales increasing by 7.8% on last year, while Waitrose was the fastest-growing retailer with a 14.1% sales increase. Sainsbury’s also grew sales by 4.6%, Tesco by 4.1% and Asda by 2.7%.last_img read more

Potawatomi Zoo delays beginning of season

first_img Pinterest Potawatomi Zoo delays beginning of season Previous articleSen. Young backs bill supporting small internet providersNext articleMichigan Attorney General coming down on a company marketing fake “coronavirus patches” Tommie Lee Twitter By Tommie Lee – March 24, 2020 0 205 Tango- Potawatomi Zoo cr. Christopher Taylor via Facebook The Potawatomi Zoo has officially delayed the start of their season.The zoo was due to open on April 3, but now say there is “no concrete date set for when it will open.”The zoo said this was being done in the interest of social distancing and per recommendations from the St. Joseph County Health Department and their zoo association. They will continue to evaluate the situation for the next few weeks to determine the date for their opening.Affected programs and events will be cancelled as needed and the zoo will notify the impacted groups. WhatsApp WhatsApp Twitter Facebook CoronavirusIndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market Pinterest Google+ Google+ Facebooklast_img read more

NW Indiana Building Trade council supporting Holcomb for 2nd term

first_img Facebook WhatsApp NW Indiana Building Trade council supporting Holcomb for 2nd term Pinterest Google+ (“gov_11” by Governor Eric Holcomb, Public Domain) For the first time in their history, the Northwestern Indiana Building and Construction Trades Council are endorsing a Republican for governor.The Northwest Indiana Times reports that the organization, which represents tens of thousands of union building trades workers, are giving their support to Governor Eric Holcomb as he seeks a second term.The Council’s business manager said the endorsement was for the governor’s “firm support” of union labor and working families in the state. IndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market Facebook Google+ By Tommie Lee – May 20, 2020 0 492 Twitter WhatsApp Pinterest Twitter Previous articleUPDATE: Suspect in robbery, assault at South Bend 7-Eleven arrestedNext articlePolice chase in LaGrange County reaches speeds to 125 mph Tommie Leelast_img read more

Group of Mishawaka Firefighters test positive for COVID-19

first_img By Carl Stutsman – June 4, 2020 0 355 Facebook Pinterest Facebook Group of Mishawaka Firefighters test positive for COVID-19 Google+ Twitter Twitter CoronavirusIndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market WhatsApp Google+ WhatsApp Photo by Tommie Lee, 953 MNC. A total of 8 tested positive for COVID 19 according to the department. The health department is currently working to trace the contacts of each of them.The South Bend Tribune says that two of them had a fever and mild symptoms on Friday and tested positive Saturday. Then on Monday the entire department underwent testing and the other cases were discovered. At last report each person was showing mild symptoms.Officials say it’s a reminder that everyone needs to be vigilant and follow public health guidelines.The Mishawaka Fire Department issued the following statement regarding the COVID-19 cases within their department:Mishawaka Fire Department has learned that eight of its members have tested positive for COVID-19. All eight of the firefighters are in self-isolation at their homes being monitored. All these individuals have shown varying signs, but most have experienced mild symptoms. All members will remain in self-isolation until they are released by our local health authority to return to active duty.The health and wellness of our firefighters and their families, along with the citizens we took an oath to protect, is our number one priority. We are cognizant of the effect any positive results, let alone eight, may cause our community and we understand it may create a higher level of concern with these type of results.On the morning of Saturday, May 30th we learned two of our firefighter’s were feeling ill with COVID like symptoms, so we reached out to Dr. Migliore at our health clinic and they were both tested that afternoon. Early the next morning, Sunday May 31st, their results came back positive, so it was decided to test other firefighters who had worked with these two individuals over the previous days. Dr. Migliore and her staff quickly responded and tested approximately 26 firefighters that afternoon.By Monday, June 1st, midday we had received word that four more members were confirmed with positive results for a total of six positive cases. The department consulted with the doctor again and at that time it was decided a swift, immediate action needed to happen to identify the magnitude of this event and to try and mitigate any further exposures by testing the rest of our department. Again, Dr. Migliore and her staff raised the bar for professionalism and care by helping meet this challenge head on. At 4:30 pm we started testing the on-duty members at one of our fire stations that was going to be used for drive thru testing facility the next morning.From 7:00 am to noon on Tuesday, June 2nd the drive thru tests were performed swiftly, sufficiently, and successfully due to the amazing display of patience and professionalism from your Mishawaka firefighters. They voluntarily came out in full force to make this possible, we are proud of their efforts and assistance with making this unfortunate string of events into a successful one. When the tests came back two more positive results were received, bringing the total number of positives to 8 total: 6 were from Station 1 and all from the same shift. One was from Station 2 (who had been working with a Station 1 positive firefighter) and one was from Station 3 on a different shift. Contact tracing will be handled by the Department of Health.Our community can rest assured all members of the fire department have been taking this national emergency seriously and utilizing every precaution possible for several months now during this pandemic and remain committed to be ever vigilant to our mission. The men and women responding to assist you are some of the most dedicated and skilled in our profession, this will not influence the services they provide to you. Please do not hesitate to call on us in your time of need and you can feel confident they are taking every precaution to provide for your safety. We understand the significant riskto our personnel as they continue to respond to meet your needs as well. We are dedicated to their wellbeing; we will continue to monitor their health daily and provide continued support to our members along with their families.Mayor Dave Wood states “Our hearts and minds are with these firefighters and their families during this difficult period and we are praying for a speedy recovery. This turn of events shows how contagious this virus is and how fast it can be spread. The fire department along with our medical partners acted quickly and appropriately and at this time we feel confident we have this current situation under control. Our public can feel secure to call upon our fire department and its members to assist you at any moment, just like you would have in the past. I also would like to remind everyone to continue to follow all CDC guidelines including washing your hands, using sanitizer, and remember to social distance. We all have a role to play in protecting our own health as well as our neighbors.”In closing, we want to commend several individuals for their assistance and guidance since this national emergency began. First, Dr. Migliore and her staff at the Mishawaka Health and Wellness Clinic for going above and beyond for our city and department, especially during this difficult time.They are the glowing examples of dedication, expertise and prove once again why healthcare workers are the true heroes of this pandemic. Also, Dr. Mark Fox and all members of the St. Joe County Health Department who have worked exhaustively and provided us with expert opinions and guidance in all facets of our efforts and the safety and health of our members. Pinterest Previous articleWorkOne centers to being reopening June 8Next articleArmy Corps of Engineers to help St. Joseph curb some erosion trouble Carl Stutsmanlast_img read more

Man, 32, killed in wrong way crash in LaPorte County

first_img Google+ By Jon Zimney – March 14, 2021 0 261 (Jon Zimney/95.3 MNC) A LaPorte man was killed in a wrong-way crash on U.S. 35.The collision happened on Friday afternoon, March 12.Investigators say Nathan Blount, 32, died after the vehicle he was driving was struck by another vehicle that was going to wrong direction. Blount’s vehicle landed in a ditch and struck a tree. He died at the hospital afterward.The driver who police say was going the wrong way suffered an upper body injury. Twitter Google+ Facebook Pinterest Pinterest Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Man, 32, killed in wrong way crash in LaPorte County IndianaLocalNews WhatsApp Previous articleSix-month-old child found safe after quadruple murder, Amber Alert cancelledNext articleTwo men killed in apparent boating accident in LaPorte County Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney.last_img read more

Jackie Walorski visiting vaccine clinics in Mishawaka on Wednesday

first_img Twitter Facebook Previous articleCOVID is costing Michigan teachers at an alarming rateNext articleButtigieg: No milage tax, no middle class tax hike to pay for infrastructure bill Tommie Lee Pinterest Google+ WhatsApp Facebook By Tommie Lee – March 30, 2021 1 174 WhatsApp (Photo Supplied/Rep. Jackie Walorski) Congresswoman Jackie Walorski is visiting Mishawaka on Wednesday, March 31.Indiana’s 2nd District Representative will be visiting three COVID-19 vaccination sites in The Princess City. Her visit comes on the day that all Hoosiers over the age of 16 become eligible to register for the vaccine.Walorski will encourage everyone in Indiana who is eligible to get vaccinated and help to fight the pandemic.She will stop by the HealthLinc Community Health Center, the St. Joseph County VA Health Care Center, and the St. Joseph Health System Mishawaka Medical Center. Pinterest Jackie Walorski visiting vaccine clinics in Mishawaka on Wednesday Twitter CoronavirusIndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market Google+last_img read more

Press release: PM’s roundtable with the aerospace industry: 26 April 2018

first_img This morning the Prime Minister hosted a roundtable with the aerospace industry at Downing Street. The Prime Minister opened the meeting by talking about how the aerospace industry has made a huge contribution to the UK’s economy and has real growth potential in the future. She spoke of the history of successful collaboration between the industry and government, working together through the Aerospace Growth Partnership. The Prime Minister gave an update on Brexit, confirming that we were seeking a deep and special partnership with the European Union and reconfirming the government’s intention for the UK to remain part of the European Aviation Safety Agency after the UK leaves the EU. This was welcomed by the roundtable attendees. They also discussed the two customs proposals put forward last summer. The Prime Minister set out the government’s firm intention for an arrangement that secures as frictionless trade as possible, avoids a hard border in Northern Ireland and allows us to set our own, independent trade policy. The Prime Minister asked industry leaders about what more the government could do to ensure the sector remains competitive in the future and discussed the opportunities that new technologies and greater partnerships could deliver. The roundtable finished with the Prime Minister acknowledging the significance and importance of the Farnborough International Airshow and that the government would support industry in using this opportunity to show the world that the UK is – and will remain – a leading aerospace nation. The meeting was also attended by the Transport Secretary Chris Grayling and the Business Secretary Greg Clark who gave an update on the Industrial Strategy. A Downing Street spokesperson said:last_img read more

Press release: Lord Chancellor announces new panel to boost Law Tech industry

first_imgIn a speech at the Lord Mayor’s Dinner for HM Judges at Mansion House on Wednesday evening, the Lord Chancellor unveiled plans for a panel of industry professionals to support and accelerate the development and adoption of innovative new legal technologies.Chaired by The Law Society’s incoming President Christina Blacklaws, the group will provide direction to the legal sector and help foster an environment in which new technology can thrive.The Government recognises the importance of embracing cutting-edge initiatives to ensure the UK’s £24billion legal services sector continues to grow and retain its world-leading reputation.The legal sector is already adapting to harness the power of these emerging technologies – with the Serious Fraud Office introducing a document review system, backed up by artificial intelligence, that can review 2,000 documents a day and law firms embracing automated digital contracts that allow for on-going monitoring of contract terms.Lord Chancellor David Gauke said: Government-backed industry-led delivery panel to boost new legal technologies Industry experts to provide advice and support Builds on Government strategy to drive business innovation I am determined to ensure our world-leading legal services sector continues to thrive and that the UK remains the primary choice for international business. The Lawtech industry is experiencing rapid growth and cutting-edge initiatives are already underway across the country. It is of paramount importance that, working together, we foster an environment in which these new technologies are embraced and take advantage of every opportunity created.center_img The UK is the ideal place for LawTech to thrive – with its progressive regulation, world-leading professionals and financial services sector and huge tech talent pool.Today’s announcement builds on the Government’s work to boost innovation and emerging technologies and create a thriving service industry.In April of this year, the Prime Minister announced a £20 million fund to encourage work between businesses and researchers and help the service industry, including the legal sector, take advantage of new technologies.The Home Office has also announced the launch of start-up visas for entrepreneurs looking to come to the UK.Notes to editors:More information on the Home Office’s start-up visa programme is available here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-start-up-visa-route-announced-by-the-home-secretaryMore information on the Government’s £20 million industrial strategy can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/industrial-strategy-challenge-fund-joint-research-and-innovationlast_img read more