(1) The sub-Antarctic island of South Georgia has a species-poor vascular flora that is not adapted to grazing by vertebrates. Consequently, reindeer (Rangifer tarandus L.) introduced to different areas of the island in 1911 and 1925 have had a serious impact on the vegetation. (2) Experimental exclosures and cages were established in various plant communities in 1973-74, and changes in floristic composition and vegetation cover have been recorded for 12 years. (3) Recovery of vegetation in exclosures showed that the native grass Poa flabellata and the dwarf shrub Acaena magellanica increased in cover in response to removal of grazing pressure. In contrast, the introduced grass Poa annua and, to a lesser extent, the moss Polytrichum and bare ground decreased in cover in response to exclusion. Other species and various communities including macrolichens, mossbanks, oligotrophic mire and eutrophic mire showed little change. (4) The experiment demonstrated that several of the important components of the vegetation affected by reindeer can rapidly regain their former abundance when grazing pressure is removed entirely. The major exception is macrolichens, notably of the genus Cladonia, which will probably take several decades to recover. (5) Although grazing does not apparently threaten the survival of any native plant species, an active management policy to eradicate reindeer would be necessary to allow native vegetation to re-establish natural communities.
The Greensburg Pirates traveled to Lawrenceburg on Saturday and lost 5-0. Due to the heat on the Lawrenceburg turf field (topped at 107 degrees), the teams were only able to play for a half before the game was called on account of the heat.Greensburg was forced to play a very defensive half as Lawrenceburg saw a lot of shots in what seemed like a very short 40 minutes. While much improved since Thursday’s loss against East Central, the Pirates failed to contain the middle of the field where Lawrenceburg was able to get most of their shots off. Vincent Pavy recorded 10 saves for the Pirates, while Nicholas Zapfe had the only shot on goal for Greensburg.Greensburg will get another chance to play Lawrenceburg in the sectional tournament. The Pirates and Tigers will face off in the second match on day one of the sectional tournament (October 2nd).Courtesy of Pirates Coach Cody DeVolld.
“It’s all pure rumours and speculation. My problem is does it affect Aaron Cresswell and affect his performance? “That’s for me to make sure Aaron does what he can all season and he performs on a consistent basis. What will happen in the summer, we will wait and see. I have even heard somebody said we have put a £25million buy-out on him. “That’s the first I know, I haven’t heard anything through the owners to say ‘well, if somebody wants Aaron Cresswell they would have to pay £25million’.” Cresswell is likely to keep his unbroken Premier League appearance run in this weekend’s London derby at Loftus Road – but Allardyce will still be without strikers Andy Carroll and Enner Valencia, whilst James Tomkins and Guy Demel are missing from a depleted defence. Allardyce may be certain on what lies in Cresswell’s immediate future but his own career path remains unclear. Reports earlier in the week suggested the club had made an audacious bid to lure Jurgen Klopp to east London after the Borussia Dortmund coach revealed he would be leaving the German club in the summer. West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady has since dismissed such claims and insisted scheduled talks with Allardyce at the end of the season will take place as planned. Allardyce is more focused on addressing the slump in results rather than his future at the club – which has been in question for some months. “It has never been any different,” he said when asked about Brady’s recent remarks. “Do people think I don’t speak with (Co-chairman David) Sullivan and Karren? Of course, I do. We have been like that for many months. “The focus for me to get the team winning football matches. There is a massive downside to what we have done at the minute. We have a responsibility to get back on winning ways. “My job is to make sure it doesn’t affect our performance and we get back to winning. For me it’s all about continuing to improve the position in the league to be where we are.” Press Association But Allardyce, who takes his Hammers to relegation-threatened QPR this weekend with only one win in their last 12 outings, believes Cresswell should remain at West Ham and continue his progression rather than seek a move. Asked if Cresswell would be better off staying at Upton Park, the Hammers boss said: “There’s no doubt about that because he’s year one in the Premier League. “Year one is an ongoing experience that you have that you know the level. Aaron now needs to grow from that experience. His challenge is to continue to work even harder than he has this year, not to rest on his laurels. “We have seen players do that and then year two is more of a disaster than his impressive first year. His professionalism will come into play at the start of next year by where he gets and if he gets to the next level.” Cresswell has not represented England at youth level but there were calls for his inclusion in Roy Hodgson’s squad to face Lithuania and Italy last month. Although he was not called up, he has continued to shine for the Hammers and scored a free-kick in their recent 1-1 draw at home to Stoke. Recently quoted as saying he is “very happy” at West Ham, it is unlikely Cresswell would be angling for a move and, with four years remaining on his current contract, Allardyce has dismissed reports that the club may struggle to hold on to the left-back. “As far as I am concerned, no one has bid for Aaron Cresswell,” he added. The 25-year-old has been an ever-present in the league so far this season, his first at Upton Park following a summer move from Ipswich. Having twice been named in the Championship team of the year Cresswell has continued to impress in the top flight and has reportedly caught the attention of some of the league’s biggest sides, with City and Chelsea both believed to have taken a look at the former Tranmere man. Sam Allardyce has told Aaron Cresswell he would be better served staying put at West Ham next season even if he is wanted by Premier League heavyweights Manchester City and Chelsea.
Cuba’s rising heavyweight Frank Sanchez nearly pitched a shutout in a 10-round decision over Philadelphia’s Joey Dawejko. The fight was dull and devoid of much action; it isn’t likely to do much for the resume of the 27-year-old Sanchez, who had a highly successful amateur career and now is 15-0 as a pro.Dawejko (20-8-4) has lost four of his last five outings and did more taunting than punching in the ring.“I didn’t want to fight Dawejko’s fight, and he realized that and it frustrated him,” Sanchez said. “He might have thought he’s faced guys like me, but there’s no other heavyweight like me.” Dazed throughout the rest of the fourth round, Kownacki barely defended himself against the onslaught of punches from his 6-foot-6 1-2 opponent, whose reach was decisive.Referee David Fields stopped it at 1:08 of the fourth.For one round in just his second fight in the United States, the Finnish journeyman lived up to his Nordic Nightmare nickname.The loss is a major setback for the 30-year-old Kownacki, who could have been in line for a title bout — though not this year — with an impressive showing. Now, he’ll have to work his way back in a division dominated by three men: Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder.Kownacki (20-1) has made the Barclays Center a second home, winning nine times in the arena. But Helenius (30-3, 19 knockouts) evicted him Saturday night. Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNEW YORK (AP) — Robert Helenius stunned heavily favored Adam Kownacki with a powerful barrage in the fourth round Saturday night, stopping the previously undefeated heavyweight in a WBA eliminator Saturday night at the Barclays Center. The 35-year-old veteran from Finland was holding his own but hardly in control when he hurt Kownacki just after the Pole had slipped to the canvas. Whether Kownacki, who now lives in Brooklyn, somehow hurt himself on the slip was difficult to tell, but he never was the same — thanks greatly to Helenius’ right hand. An overwhelmingly pro-Kownacki crowd of 8,811 at Barclays Center, many decked in red-and-white shirts with either Polska or Kownacki emblazoned on them, chanted and cheered for three rounds. Then Helenius landed a massive right followed by a left that decked Kownacki, who never recovered. Journeyman Helenius stuns previously unbeaten Kownacki The fight, broadcast on Fox, headlined a night of heavyweights in which Nigeria’s Efe Ajagba pummeled Rozvan Cojanu for eight rounds, then stopped the Romanian with a series of head and body shots late in the ninth.It was never a contest as Ajagba, 25, improved to 13-0 with 11 knockouts. He may have been slow and awkward at times, but he easily outpunched the overmatched Cojanu, now 17-7, with four losses by knockout. “Cojanu has a lot of experience,” Ajagba said. “When I threw my jab, he used his right hand to block my vision, so I couldn’t throw as many combinations as I wanted. It was a good challenge.”Then Ajagba began attacking the body.“It was very effective and it started to slow him down,” he added. “When he got close to me, I knew to throw more and punish him.” March 7, 2020
(REUTERS) – India captain Virat Kohli was named ‘Leading Cricketer in the World’ for the third time in a row in this year’s edition of the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack, the publication said yesterday.Kohli, 30, was also named as one of Wisden’s five cricketers-of-the-year along with England’s Jos Buttler and Sam Curran, County Championship-winning captain Rory Burns and Tammy Beaumont from the England women’s team.Kohli, who scored only 134 runs during India’s previous tour of England in 2014, amassed 593 runs in his side’s five-Test series last year at an average of over 59 to book his place on the list.“Despite finishing on the losing side, India captain Virat Kohli shone with the bat, laying to rest his struggles in England in 2014,” Wisden editor Lawrence Booth said.“His Test batting, especially in England, was magnificent, while his 50-over form moved to a new level, if that was possible.” Kohli, who also won the ICC’s cricketer, Test and One-day international player-of-the-year awards in January, scored 2 735 runs across all three international formats in 2018 at an average of 68.37, which included 11 centuries.India’s Smriti Mandhana, who scored 1 291 runs in limited overs, was named Leading Cricketer in the women’s game while Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan was named Leading Twenty20 Cricketer for the second consecutive year.
Between 10 and 12 members of Israeli Special Forces will be among the members of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Zenica-Doboj Canton who are responsible for the security of the match between B&H and Israel, which is to be held on June 12th at Bilino Polje in Zenica and recorded as a high-risk event.‘’This is not about the classical special forces carrying long pipes that we are used to see when we say ‘special forces’. These are trained people in civilian clothes. Israel’s national football team is specific for that and Special Forces are always present when the team plays the matches in any country. Therefore, their trip is not an extraordinary situation’’, said the Director of the Directorate of Coordination of Police Bodies in B&H, Mirsad Vilić.The Israeli Special Forces have long ago duly announced their arrival to the Football Federation of B&H.(Source: nap.ba/ photo avaz.ba)
There are rumors this morning that Research in Motion is preparing to bring to Android and iOS one of the key selling points of the BlackBerry phone: BlackBerry Messenger. BGR is reporting that it’s learned from “multiple trusted sources” that the company plans to introduce the Android version some time this year, with an app for iPhones available at some point as well. Details are still sketchy, says BGR, and while the app may be free, RIM could also charge users a fee (either a one-time or a recurring fee) to access the BBM service via other platforms.At first blush, the rumors pretty far-fetched as the BlackBerry Messenger is arguably one of the most beloved BlackBerry apps. It’s also featured in recent advertisements as one of the main reasons why you should buy a BlackBerry over an iPhone or an Android (or, just as importantly, why you should stay a BlackBerry user and not switch to a different smartphone).BlackBerry nailed the real-time messing service, in many people’s eyes, and BlackBerry users prefer its speed and efficiency over texting. Several other companies have tried to bring that same experience to other smartphones. Kik, most famously perhaps, delivered some of that same functionality – and brought it across platforms – before being blocked by Blackberry in November.BGR surmises that the BBM app for Android and iPhone will be stripped down, offering the communication capabilities, but not the ability to share photos, videos and locations. Is that enough to convince consumers – Blackberry users or others – of the benefits of moving to or sticking with BlackBerry? It seems like a gamble. But as we’ve seen a number of new messaging apps pop up, it could be that RIM wants to remind everyone that it’s a leader in the messaging space. Related Posts Tags:#NYT#web A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting audrey watters
Man Utd ace Mata relaunches blog: Let’s be positiveby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAfter victory at Cardiff City, Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata is again writing for his personal blog.He opined: “Without doubt, it is one of the busiest times of the year in terms of the amount of games there are in English football.”We have two games at Old Trafford and we want to close out December in the best possible way: with two wins.”Obviously, it has been a different week with the change of manager and I’d like to thank Jose for the trophies we won together and wish him luck for the future.”As you will all be aware, the legendary Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is our new boss and we couldn’t have started off upon his return to the club in a better way. “It was a convincing win against Cardiff and it will raise morale going into the end of 2018 and the rapidly approaching New Year. “It is time for be optimistic, to look ahead and keep working hard to climb up the table. We are really motivated to do so while entertaining our fans, who deserve so much.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Sevilla make Man Utd defender Bailly number one targetby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSevilla are chasing Manchester United defender Eric Bailly.The Ivory Coast international has struggled to find form and regular game time this season.He was sent off in his most recent appearance at home against Bournemouth.And Marca reports he is wanted by Sevilla.Their boss Pablo Manchin sees him as the man to bolster the team’s back line.Ivan Marcano, Diego Carlos and Fernando Calero are possible backups should United refuse to sell.